Resource Catalog Search Results
|New Search||Back to previous|
1 resource found and displayed.
|Resource:||Video Disk (DVD1152) John: The Gospel of Light and Life|
|Publisher:||Abingdon Press, 2015|
|Subjects:||06-session Study; Adult Series; All-church program/study; Bible Study; Children's Ministry; Crucifixion; Easter/Lent; Exodus; Faith; Genesis; Gospel ; Heaven; History; Incarnation; Jesus; John; Last Supper; Lent/Easter; Miracles; Moses; New Testament; Old Testament; Passover; Resurrection; Theology; Trinity; Youth Ministry|
|Description:||This Lenten season join Adam Hamilton and experience a season of spiritual growth and life-changing renewal while exploring the major themes of John. In this 6 week study Hamilton shares insights with a groups of fifteen and answers their questions.
The 6 lessons are
1)The Word Made Flesh: The Gospel of John presents Jesus in a whole different light than the other 3 Gospels. In John people are called to believe in Jesus and to have a relationship with him. In the other 3 Gospels we are called to follow Jesus and to serve Him.
2) The Miraculous Signs of Jesus - John was written so you might come to believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah. There are 7 miraculous signs in John and they are presented at two levels--a surface level and a deeper, spiritual level. The miracles discussed are the changing water into wine(Wine is a symbol of Jesus blood shed for us) and healing the man born blind (blindness is both physical and spiritual)
3) The " I AM" Sayings of Jesus - The God of the Old Testament tells Moses his name is "I AM" -the source of life. There are 7 "I AM" sayings in John and they are how Jesus connects himself to God and to the divine. Hamilton focuses on 2; I am the bread of life (Jesus connects himself to the bread of Passover and the manna of heaven in the wilderness) and I am the light of the world (Jesus connecting himself to the pillar of fire in the wilderness.
4) The Farewell Discourse - Jesus washes his disciples feet showing his disciples that it is in serving that one is Christlike. Also, Jesus declares," I AM the Way, the Truth and the Life" and that God is going to send his Holy Spirit to be with them after he is gone. Jesus commands his disciples to bear fruit and love one another.
5) The Arrest, Trial and Crucifixion of the King - John's gospel shows Jesus divinity by portraying Jesus as approaching his death with strength and purpose. Eternal life begins with this earthly life. Jesus did not flee the events of Holy Week but embraced them - we serve a crucified as well as resurrected Lord.
6) Eternal Life - John tells the story of Mary Magdalene finding the empty tomb. The Gospel of John begins in the Garden of Eden and ends in the garden tomb where Jesus was raised. Jesus reverses the curse of the Garden of Eden and not only gives us access to eternal life but makes life on earth more abundant. Hamilton also tells the story of the disciple Thomas.
STUDY NCLUDES BOOK, LEADER"S GUIDE, YOUTH EDITION and DHILDREN"S EDITION
|Age Groups:||High School; Young Adult; Adult (30-55); Adult (55+)|
|New Search||Back to previous|